Database testing is an essential part of software testing, as it helps ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data stored in the system. to achieve desirable quality certain processes are pretty much required to follow during the database testing cycle.
Lets see a typical workflow for database testing cycle :
- Requirements analysis: The first step is to understand the requirements of the system and identify the different types of data that will be stored in the database. This helps in defining the scope of testing. with the more clearer scope of testing your planning and execution will become more effective. That is the reason this phase plays a vital role in defining the scope of testing.
- Test planning: Based on the requirements, a test plan is created, which outlines the objectives, scope, and approach for the testing. This includes identifying the test cases to be executed, the test data to be used, and the testing environment. You can see more details about how to write test plan for database testing at this link.
- Test case creation: Test cases are created to validate the functionality and accuracy of the database. Test cases should cover all possible scenarios, including edge cases and negative scenarios. Adopting different test design techniques you can create more efficient test cases that will help to identify defects during test execution itself.
- Test data preparation: Data is prepared to test the database based on the test cases. This includes creating new data, modifying existing data, and deleting data. Since database testing doesn't include more user interface in most of the cases, testing is more dependent on the basic raw data at source database. So creating correct data as per the requirements is most important as your entire testing effectiveness is relying on the quality of data you are referring for testing the database. There are various test data generation tools available that helps to generate data as per the defined schema and rules.
- Test execution: The actual testing of the database is performed based on the test plan and test cases. Testers use the test data prepared in the previous step to execute the test cases.
- Defect reporting and tracking: Any issues or defects found during testing are reported in a defect tracking tool. The defects are prioritized based on their severity and are assigned to the development team for resolution. We will more discuss about generic defect life cycle followed by most of the organization that helps them to track defects and their sources effectively.
- Regression testing: Once the defects are resolved, regression testing is performed to ensure that the fixes do not introduce new issues into the database. Regression testing is required to identify the impacted areas due to the recent fixes of the defects by the development team, this really help us to stop defect leakage at the given point of time.
- Test closure: The final step is to document the test results, including any issues found and their resolution, and provide a report to the stakeholders. The report should summarize the testing effort and provide recommendations for future improvements.
Overall, a well-defined and executed database testing workflow can help to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data stored in the system.